Families with or without children, as well as responsible single adults can host students. Hosts provide a warm and caring environment in which the student becomes an active member of the household where they can experience British culture and improve their English.
The experience for both the host and students can be enriching and memorable. Both students and hosts are selected with great care and students are expected to abide by the customs and reasonable expectations of their host.
As a host, you:
- Welcome a student into your home.
- Provide an individual bed and breakfast/evening meals.
- Maintain contact with the school Accommodation and Welfare Office.
- Assist students in settling in.
Why host for Languages United?
- We are a small family-run school, based in Bath, where it is easy to speak to staff and managers
- Clear, simple payment rates
- Considerate placement of students (we try to match students to the family, not place on a first-come-first-served basis)
- Well communicated activity programme detailing activity times and host family responsibilities
- No weekday packed lunches - Monday to Friday is half-board, weekends full-board
- High season rate increase
- No reduction in rate for additional students
- Supplements for special diets, i.e. Halal, Gluten or Lactose-free, Vegan Meals
- Efficient weekly payment system direct to your bank
- British Council Accredited - we take quality and service seriously
- Kind, friendly staff who are easy to contact and efficiently solve any problems
- You will be working with a school that cares - see our Social Responsibility page for information about how we care for the environment and support the UN's Sustainable Development Goals.
Our experiences have always been positive with all the students you allocate to us. I think this is down to the matching of hosts to students in terms of like minded needs and personalities.
This summer was my first experience hosting students. Even before the students arrived I appreciated the communication with the school to share and advise on the process and procedures of hosting and what was involved.
I always enjoyed taking students and in particular working with Languages United. I think they are the best language school in Bath and always very professional.
My [students] are delightful. It has been a pleasure to have hosted them. Their English was a bit limited but we managed to have charming conversations.
We have had very very good experiences hosting and love it! We host through other companies too and like how you do things. We feel supported by you, and communicated with. I feel I know where I am with you and your schedule app works very well indeed.
I hosted a Spanish, Italian and a Russian student this summer, all of them delightful. I thought the student's timetables were great and packed with things for them to do and see and I was generally happy with everything.
The students were delightful - easy, communicative and friendly. They entered into family life but also were able to manage their own time and space well. I was surprised by how independent they were and adept at managing bus routes and timetables so quickly - hugely helpful for me as I was working full time.
All adult family members are required to understand the school's guidelines and code of conduct, and to sign an declaration confirming their acceptance of these. Those families hosting under-18s have additional responsibilities under our Safeguarding procedures and policies and adults require a current DBS Certificate.